Steps to be recruited and play lacrosse in college
These are the steps you need to take if you hope to be recruited to play lacrosse in college:
1) Talk to a recruitment professional. They understand all of the complex requirements, guidelines and deadlines that are expected of you.
2) Send out an introduction letter that details your accomplishments to every potential college lacrosse coach. If you are using email, do not send it as a mass mailing. You should personalize each letter to each specific college.
3) Practice your ball handling, passing and speed to make sure that you will be competitive at the college level.
4) Compete in as many lacrosse training camps and showcases as possible to gain exposure to college recruits.
5) Develop an effective marketing package with a professional sports resume and highlight video that you can use to sell yourself to potential coaches.
6) Maintain a 3.0 GPA and make sure that you earn a 1000 point score or better on your SATs.
7) Build strong relationships with college lacrosse coaches by promptly responding to any inquiries and by keeping them informed of any new accomplishments or awards.
How women’s lacrosse players are evaluated
Physical fitness, strength and endurance are essential in a female lacrosse player, especially if you want to be recruited to play in college. Coaches will evaluate your performance in major tournaments and All-American showcases over the course of your high school sports career.
The more summer training camps and/or club experience will help improve your chances. Coaches recognize that players who devote more time to lacrosse are more likely to be able to handle the intense college lacrosse training exercises.
Academic requirements for college lacrosse recruits
It takes more than just competing and winning at the national level to get into a college sports program. Good grades and academic achievements are also fundamental to your success. A lacrosse player needs a 1000 out of 1600 on their SATs and a 3.0 GPA to meet the standard academic requirements.
Why college lacrosse recruiting camps matter
College showcases and lacrosse recruiting camps are the easiest way to gain exposure in a competitive environment. You will be playing against other tough women who are fighting for the same few positions that are available at the college level. The intense competition should be enough motivation to perform to your greatest potential.